Saturday, October 31, 2009

British English vs Malaysian English

Who says our English is bad?
Ours is simple, short, concise, straight-to-point, effective, etc etc.


WHEN GIVING A CUSTOMER BAD NEWS,
Britons: I'm sorry Sir, but we don't seem to have the shoes you want in your size, but if you give me a moment, I can call the other outlets for you.

Malaysians: No Stock lah.

RETURNING A CALL,
Britons: Hello, this is Jonathon Abraham. Did anyone page for me a few moments ago?

Malaysians: Hello, who page ha?

ASKING SOMEONE TO MAKE WAY,
Britons: Excuse me, I'd like to get by. Would you please make way?

Malaysians: S-kew me.

WHEN SOMEONE OFFERS TO PAY,
Britons: Hey, put your wallet away, this dinner is on me.

Malaysians: No-needlah, me pay me pay.

WHEN ASKING FOR PERMISSION,
Britons: Excuse me, but do you think it would be possible for me to enter through this door?

Malaysians: (pointing the door) can ar?

WHEN ENTERTAINING,
Britons: Please make yourself right at home, anything you need just ask me.

Malaysians: Don't be shy, lah!

WHEN DOUBTING SOMEONE,
Britons: I don't recall you giving me the money.

Malaysians: Where got?

WHEN DECLINING AN OFFER,
Britons: I'd prefer not to do that, if you don't mind.

Malaysians: Don't want lah, keep keep.

IN DISAGREEING ON A TOPIC OF DISCUSSION,
Britons: Err Sam, I have to stop you there. I understand where you're coming from, but I really have to disagree with what you said about the issue.

Malaysians: You mad, ah?

WHEN ASKING SOMEONE TO LOWER THEIR VOICE,
Britons: Excuse me, but could you please lower your voice, I'm trying to concentrate over here.

Malaysians: Shut up lah!

WHEN ASKING SOMEONE IF HE/SHE KNOWS YOU,
Britons: Excuse me, but I noticed you staring at me for some time... Do I know you?

Malaysians: See what see what?

WHEN ASSESSING A TIGHT SITUATION,
Britons: We seem to be in a bit of a predicament at the moment.

Malaysians: Die-lah!

WHEN TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT HAD HAPPENED,
Britons: Will someone tell me what has just happened?

Malaysians: Wat happen? Why like that....

WHEN SOME ONE DOES SOMETHING WRONG.
Britons: This isn't the way to do it, here let me show you.

Malaysians: Like that also don't know how to do! stupid!


so kawan kawan,

see how clever we are. no need lah to speak long sentences, wasting our saliva only. hehe :P

i don't think that we need to change who we are and i proud of it. and i wish that i can use Manglish wherever I go. how bout u guys?

my nuffnang ad, kelik peres ok!

20 comments:

HAFEEZA said...

eh u have to read back wat i write in my entry 'this is for u'...
read the bottom one..

Mimie.Candy Cane said...

i like this one.nice entry.i have a bad english.still,i use the language in my writing..

broken english can be proper english what...

Akmar Anuar said...

haha...entry ni klaka dowh..tapi english yg kte gune ni byk chinese-english ke? tapi ade gak indians pakai kan? hmmm....still aku try pakai proper english (Britons' version) sbb kebanyakan kawan2 aku mmg highly educated dlm English

chipsmore said...

saya broken english..haha...

mein melon said...

bagus one! haha!

YobSumO said...

Hafeeza: ok, already. stay strong friend!


Mimie.Candy: haha, just use it as long as other ppl understand.


Akmar: ha'ah aku rasa itulah english yg kita biasa guna. same goes to indian. "where got" mana wujud pun kat negara lain, Malaysians je guna.


Cik Epal: it's ok. slowly brush up your English ;)


mein melon: haha bagus one ha! tomorrow don't forget. 8am i pick u up!

PeJuAnG HiDup said...

mmm... hehehe. kna btng hidug ku plak. XD

Bintang Hati said...

hahahahha..
klakar lak..
p ok pe ringkas n padat org msia nye bhsa..
xmngapa..
truskan usaha..
hehehh

Noorlaila Mohamed Nor said...

hahaha
kadang2 susah nak buang 'la' kat blakang ayat yg dah besa sebut tu
lidah melayu la katakan
made in penang lagi
haha

BuLaN iTu aKu said...

tahu tak pe..
kadang2..
malaysian english lagi kreatif

nadirah_nor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nadirah_nor said...

aku gitau atowk aku ko kutuk british...
(bajet atok aku owng british..padahal jawa..muahahaah)
*tiada kaitan ye nmpknye dcitu*

izzahfarhana said...

haha enjoy reading this entry!u buat sndiri ke?

apik said...

i do prefer the britons compare with manglish..

arque said...

haha.malaysian semua direct takde berkias.malaysian kann.

YobSumO said...

pejuang hidup: batang hidung mancung tak?


Bintang Hati: tahu takpe


Noorlaila: tu dia made in Penang! anak mami ka.


Bulan itu aku: kita jadi kreatif sebab kita tak berapa tahu nak guna proper English. hehe.


izzahfarhana: tak suka soklan tu. next ques pls. haha.


apik: everyone would prefer British English. We can see that Malaysians good in writing, but when it comes to speaking, tahu tahu jelah. myself also tried to used proper english.


arque: zaman zaman berkias makin berlalu.

Ms Pame™ said...

Thanks for the bday wish in Yern's blog.

YobSumO said...

u're welcome Ms Pame =D

Solehah said...

im proud to be malaysian..yeah..

bunga ;D said...

=d